Focused on healthy outcomes, our lifestyle images capture real people engaged in natural activities. Positive, authentic imagery allows audiences to relate to the ideas communicated by our photography. Photos that show a connection between people or a person engaged in an activity support our brand platform. Photography should consist of subjects that are not camera aware.
For more information on image guidelines download our brand guide.
Optimization for Web
- Name files descriptively and in plain language to support SEO basic practices (i.e. NewbornBaby_NICU_JonathanJaquesCancerInstitute)
- Reduce the file size of your image.
- You can use the “Save for Web” feature in Photoshop to control the size of your images or this tool is quite useful for significantly reducing image sizes for both PNGs and JPGs: https://imageoptim.com/online. There is a desktop app available for Mac users but the browser version works well, too.
- We’ve set file size limits within the CMS, but these limits should be viewed as a worst-case scenario — for improved site performance, it is recommended to optimize each image you upload. There’s certainly a balance to strike between low file size and a good quality image, but since our required image dimensions are larger than the size the image will be displayed at (for devices with a 2x or higher resolution), you can err on the lower side of the spectrum. It may take some experimenting to find the settings that work for you.
- Know which file type to use.
- For photos, JPGs are the preferred file format. A photo should almost never be a PNG.
- For simpler graphics or instances where you need a transparent background, PNGs are recommended.
- There won’t be too many situations where you’ll truly need to use an SVG, but they are typically smaller in file size than PNGs. They can be difficult to troubleshoot if you’re not familiar with the format though.
- Test. If you want to see the performance difference optimized images can make you can test this using Google PageSpeed Insights.
All images must be under 250kb.
- Homepage Marquee – 800x800
- Interior Marquee – 800x800
- Content Feature – 1200x1200
- Highlights – 600x600
- Doctor Bio – 800x800
- Doctor Bio images are one of the most important images on the site. The data shows an increase in engagement of ~343% on Doctor cards with bio images vs. without.
- Location Image – 800x450
- Media Gallery – 1400x800
- Success Story – 800x800
- Try to keep the focal point of the image in the center as much as possible since the mobile styling differs from the desktop styling.
Audio files will typically be used in the media gallery content segment to showcase podcasts, or other audio clips relevant to the audience. Audio files must be an mp3 and under 16MB.
Video content is an engaging story-telling tool. Our site uses YouTube-hosted videos, so your video will need to be uploaded to YouTube in order to be used on the site. Hosting these externally allows us to optimize page load speed and important aspects of site performance. A couple of other tips related to video content:
- Use closed captions when possible to maintain accessibility standards.
- Ensure the content displayed in your video can also be found elsewhere on the page or site. This provides additional accessibility and improves SEO.
- Keep them short like our users’ attention spans.
- Focus on quality. These videos are a representation of our brand.