Pediatric Nutrition Services at Miller Children’s & Women's Hospital Long Beach provides nutritional care to infants, children and adolescents with a wide range of nutritional needs or issues, such as:
- Poor Growth
- Eating Disorders
- Vegetarian Diets
- Food Allergies
- Gastronintestinal (GI) Disorders
- Renal Disease
- Tube Feeding
- Immune Disorders
- Infant Feeding
- Feeding Skill Delays
- Behavioral problems surrounding foods
- Use of nutritional and/or herbal supplements
Clinical Nutrition professionals provide early, aggressive nutritional interventions to promote positive patient outcomes. They are responsible for providing the following services to meet the needs of
Miller Children’s patients:
- Nutrition screening and assessment: an in-depth assessment regarding the patient's medical history, growth, medications, supplements, laboratory data and clinical status is obtained, along with a diet history and/or nutrient analysis.
- Nutrition care planning and patient management: includes collaboration with nursing staff and physicians to provide patients in need with optimum nutrition; also includes diagnostic-specific therapy and planning.
- Evaluation and management of drug/food interactions: involves close collaboration and planning with the pharmacy.
- Patient and family education: collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team to ensure that patients and families receive the information necessary across the continuum.
- Outpatient nutrition care: Weight management counseling with a pediatric registered dietitian is available for caregivers of children 5 years and older. Initial appointments are one hour long. The nutritional assessment and treatment plan will be shared with the patient's health care team/providers to allow this information to be integrated into their overall medical care.
Pediatric Nutrition Staff
The Nutritional Services team consists of a pediatric nutrition coordinator, a pediatric nutrition support dietitian, registered dietitians, diet technicians and a nutrition manager. The clinical expertise and competency of each staff member is carefully matched with the needs of the project and patient.
Your Care Team
Other Team Members
- Pediatric Nutrition Coordinator
- Pediatric Nutrition Support Dietitian
- Registered Dietitians
- Diet Technicians
- Nutrition Manager