The Long Beach Family Resource Centers are a place for families raising children with special needs to find knowledge and support as they navigate through their health care journey. While the Long Beach Family Resource Centers are located in Miller Children’s and supports patients and their families who are hospitalized, services are available to all families in the community. Family support initiatives, such as the Parent-to-Parent Mentor Program, and a variety of support groups are designed to support families while their child is hospitalized and serve as a resource, building a sense of "community" after discharge.
A Place for Knowledge and Support
The Long Beach Family Resource Centers offer families the opportunity to conduct research, read books and watch videos about their children’s conditions, stay in touch with family members via e-mail or enjoy a fresh cup of coffee.
Additional support and complimentary comforts offered:
- Books and videos are available for leisure and educational purposes, such as disease and disability related info.
- Informational brochures on medical conditions, disability and parenting.
- Workshops and trainings, designed to help parents in addressing the needs of their child and family, are ongoing throughout the year.
- Referral to community agencies and support groups that assist with parents of children with special needs.
- Parent-to-parent support.
- Translation services.
- Family resource calendar to help keep important appointments and reference community resource listings.
- Access to the internet and phones.
- Coffee, water and snacks.
- Toiletries for unexpected hospital visits.
What is a Care Notebook?
A Care Notebook is a tool for parents, families and caregivers to use to maintain the health, school and service records of their child with special needs. You will find that this Care Notebook will help to empower you to be an active participant in your child’s care by better understanding your child’s conditions, treatments and medications.
Print Your Own Care Notebook
The “Warmline” is part of the Family Resource Center and provides a bilingual phone system for parent-to-parent support, information and referral. This line is operated by trained parents. Parents and professionals can leave a message and their call will be returned within 48 hours. The telephone number is (562) 933-8048.
There are two Long Beach Family Resource Centers at Miller Children's. The first is located on the second floor in the general pediatrics "core" unit. The second Long Beach Family Resource Center is located in the general pediatrics "Miller West" unit, just outside the double doors of the unit.