We understand that caring for our patients means taking good care of their family as well. Our approach to pediatric surgery is simple: to provide personalized care that is tailored to meet the needs of the individual patient and their family. Our goal is to provide attentive and family centered care, and to make the overall hospital experience as seamless and pain-free as possible.
- Meet your surgeon and care team prior to surgery – Let the team explain things in a way you will understand, and have a chance to get all your questions answered. This is the same team that will be taking care of you throughout your hospital stay.
- Take a tour before surgery – Join our Cherese Mari Laulhere Child Life Program to meet some friendly faces, and familiarize yourself with your new surroundings. There is so much to do on the morning of your child’s surgery; it is often helpful to learn about the process ahead of time.
- Individualized nursing – After surgery you will be provided with one-on-one nursing care by a specially trained cardiac care professional nurse. This extra touch allows them to provide a little extra time to be especially attentive, explain things, and answer questions.
- No moving around the hospital – Your child will remain in our acuity-adaptable Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit during the entire hospital stay. No moving around the hospital means less stress and a more peaceful and uninterrupted recovery, both for your child and your family.
- Support and guidance all the way home – As your child recovers, you will meet many team members that will support and assist you in the process of transitioning your child home. Our professional nursing staff will prepare you to care for your child’s continued recovery after discharge. Our team of expert discharge planners and dietitians will interface with providers to arrange for services and equipment you may need.