When your child gets clearance for discharge you may feel relieved and want to expedite the process. Try to remember to ask important questions upon discharge so that you can be well prepared at home. Our Parent & Family Advisory Council developed the following questions to ask your health care team to help you get information that you will need to take care of your child at home. If your child has been away from school for awhile due to illness, ask the health care team about any school reintegration programs that may be offered:
- Who is the doctor in charge of my child’s health care?
- How do I reach the doctor after hours?
- What should I expect when my child comes home from the hospital?
- Will my child need follow-up appointments when I leave the hospital?
- Will my child need special medication when we leave the hospital?
- Will my child need special equipment when I leave the hospital?
- Will my insurance cover the care my child needs when I leave the hospital?
- Is there family support for me and my family when I leave the hospital?