The outpatient pharmacy at Miller Children’s & Women's Hospital Long Beach is dedicated to providing specialized pediatric pharmacy services for infants, children and adolescents and their families.
The outpatient pharmacy strives to improve the therapeutic outcomes of patients by providing cost-effective pharmaceutical care to patients of the Miller Children’s Outpatient Specialty Centers, Children’s Clinic and patients who are being discharged from Miller Children’s.
Some of the services provided by Miller Children’s pharmacy include routine prescription filling, compounding specialty medications, sale of non-prescription drug items, insurance billing and patient consultations. We stock and make medications specifically used in the hospital and specialty clinics.
These may not be available at pharmacies outside the Medical Center. We also prepare and dispense investigational drugs to support research in Miller Children's.
Tips to Filling a Prescription
In order to effectively provide all necessary prescriptions, below are tips for working with the
Miller Children’s Pharmacy.
- Please call 24 hours in advance for refills. Do not wait until there are zero refills remaining or when medication runs out.
- This gives the pharmacy ample time to prepare the prescription if there are delays in medication supply.
- If the doctor changes the dose, please ask for a new prescription.
- Always bring the insurance card when visiting the pharmacy.
- Be prepared to answer questions about child’s weight and allergies.
- It may take some time for doctors and insurance company to submit prior authorizations.
- If it is after-hours, patients can choose to fill their prescriptions at the MemorialCare Pharmacy located in the Long Beach Memorial lobby. The MemorialCare Pharmacy is open 9 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
If patient authorizations were sent to Miller Children’s Outpatient Pharmacy, please arrive before
5:30 p.m. to fill and pick up the prescriptions. For prescriptions that require CCS authorization,
please arrive before 4:30 p.m. to fill and pick up prescriptions.
Miller Children’s Pharmacy accommodates and promotes the well-being of all patients by working with a wide variety of insurance plans. This includes PPO, HMO, straight MediCal and California Children’s Services (CCS). Below are some tips for specific insurance plans.
There is a limit of six prescriptions per month. The pharmacy can obtain authorization for additional prescriptions if all six prescriptions were originally filled at the Miller Children’s Outpatient Pharmacy.
California Children’s Services (CCS)
The pharmacy is able to verify authorizations for medication coverage when CCS is open. CCS closes at
5 p.m. and on all federal and state holidays. Orders received after 4:30 p.m. will be processed for pick up the next business day.